Re: [RC] Calm and Cool? - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 8/29/2003 4:33:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Does anyone know if Calm &Cool will test drug positive for endurance rides?  If so, is there any other type of stuff that will work that won't test positive?  I have a young horse that just needs the edge taken off for the trailer ride.

I also have a young horse, 6 years old , that I'm starting.  He was virtually untouched until I got him as a 3 year old.  When I first started riding him and taking him on the trail for rides away from home (requiring a trailer ride) he would shake like crazy and wash out in a sweat.  So we would just practice trailering and then a short, maybe 30 minute ride, ending on something positive.  Until he could do that without being afraid we didn't progress to longer distances.  He's so far not done a 50 , but he's exceeded my expectations at the one NATRC ride and the one LD ride that he's done.  He's learned, through lots and lots of slow,  safe experiences that he can trust me and that I'll take care of him.  There aren't any short cuts for that and there sure as heck aren't any hebs or drugs.

I'm not sure if the initial poster to the question is still even on Ridecamp (sometimes people drift away kinda fast ;).  But my best, most considered advice, would be to just go slow ....very few horses have ever been messed up by going too slow.

Happy trails and good luck.....

Sylvia & Fargo :)