[RC] [Guest] CATOOSA - Ridecamp Moderator

Larry Lewis www.aerc75.com
Not much good came out of CATOOSA. I was there and entered. A buch of local yahoos with zero endurance savy heard about endurance riding and thought they had a few good ponies and decided to have themselves a race. They invited a number of us from the central region to give the race credibility. To make a long story short they had a calcutta, drank a lot and wanted to film the race with a chopper. Dane Frazier, myself, Darolyn, Carol Patterson I think and a few more central folks saw the writing on the wall. High humidity, 85 plus temps and idiots running the race. They refused to give Dane sole power over the race. He was the head vet and saw what he was dealing with. Dane and Darolyn called Don Bolton nearby and found he had a marked trail at Oolagah lake. All AERC riders left the ride except Connie and Phil Farmer and my dad L.D. Lewis. The best move they ever made. Sanity did prevail. The next morning while waiting for the fog to lift they ran the 25 miler. A disaster, hillbilly kids no sponsors whipping and spurring, horses hurt, horses dead. My father L.D. Lewis unsaddled my good horse, never telling me. We wanted to be no part of this race. I was the only AERC member left in the 50 and now there were none. They started the race at 10 AM, 90 degrees 90% humidity. I saw them bury five horses, the good ole boys had their race, they didn't have a clue. I wonder what happened to the calcutta money, I bought myself when they couldn't get a bid...Larry Lewis aerc75