Re: [RC] Thinking out loud & Filing protests - Heidi Smith

>I have been following this thread for days and I am very surprised on the number of posts that infer that if a horse is treated or dies at a ride that someone may automatically file a protest.  I think this is really unfounded, at least in my region (PS).  Most of us realize that there is some risk to our horses in this sport and therefore there will never be 0% on horse deaths/treatment. I think most AERC members think the protest process should be used for the most grievous violations or when all other means of resolving an issue fail or if the violation is so blatant that public censure is demanded.  This is pretty obvious from the protest that started this whole discussion.

I agree, Kim.  What is being protested (and should continue to be protested) is horse ABUSE, not necessarily horse fatality or horse treatment.

I disagree strongly with those who suggest that any fatality should be protested--it is often obvious right there in camp what happened.  There is enough trauma to losing your horse in a tragic accident or to a hidden cause such as a tumor or an aneurysm that the conscientious rider does not need to be dealing with a protest on top of it.

Heidi