Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.0613 - Heidi Smith

>My plan is to do the ride and if my boy is happy and good to go at about 730--8pm that night I will trailer home (1 1/2 hrs).  I could leave Mon. morning, but would have to do so at about 6am.  Now, I'm also the type of person that if my horse isn't doing well, I'll sit there with him for the next 5 days if need be.

>Personally, I think, as stated by others, that it has a lot to do with common sense and knowing what is going on with your horse and you.  Yes, my horse will be tired after 25 miles, but I don't think so much so that after several hours of rest he can't take 1 1/2 hours in the trailer to go home.

Jmho, but if a horse is "fit to continue" for another loop on the trail, he's "fit to continue" by riding a short distance home.  This falls under the common sense bit--which you are all corect in that it cannot be legislated.  If he ain't "fit to continue" he needs veterinary appraisal before getting in the trailer.  If he IS "fit to continue" then he needs a bellyful of feed, a good opportunity to rehydrate, and a short ride home.

Heidi