Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.0613 - RunRoskoRun

In a message dated 8/26/2003 12:24:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, bobmorris@xxxxxxxx writes:

OK to really open the can of worms suppose that Susan K. , under the AERC Rules and Regulations Preamble "Additional measures may be taken by any ride to provide greater safety for equine and rider." posts on the ride entry blank the following:

All horses, in the interest of horse welfare and safety, will be required to remain at the ride camp a minimum of 12 hours after completion to ensure adequate rest prior to trailering home.

What would happen?

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

Well, I'll present you with my situation.  I'm doing a 25 miler next Sun.  I had to promise to work a 12 hr. shift at 9am on Mon. in order to get Sat. night off to do the ride on Sun.  My plan is to do the ride and if my boy is happy and good to go at about 730--8pm that night I will trailer home (1 1/2 hrs).  I could leave Mon. morning, but would have to do so at about 6am.  Now, I'm also the type of person that if my horse isn't doing well, I'll sit there with him for the next 5 days if need be.

Personally, I think, as stated by others, that it has a lot to do with common sense and knowing what is going on with your horse and you.  Yes, my horse will be tired after 25 miles, but I don't think so much so that after several hours of rest he can't take 1 1/2 hours in the trailer to go home.  And I can almost guarantee that if he could talk he'd tell me he would like to go home and spend the night telling his buddies about his adventure.  If it were a longer ride distance, we'd probably stay the night.  If it were a longer trailering distance we'd probably stay the night.  If there were a blanket rule about staying a set amount of time after rides, we may have to forego some of those rides.

Just like Barbara McCrary said in a previous post,

some don't.....

Just my .02 worth.

abigail & Tiger
No. CA