[RC] [RC] Abrupt feed changes - Karen

Hi Katey -- I'm reading archives so could not reply directly. My advice would be to start feeding your horse hay now, and beet pulp. I have taken my horses out of pasture to rides and trailer trips, but I do try to give them a few days to adjust to the feed change first. Some horses handle it differently than others. Since you are bringing 3 horses, you can bring her along and see how she handles the trip -- ride her after you know she's doing okay. I like to load my horses up with lots of hay and plenty of soaked beet pulp before we leave for a long trip, think that really helps them get there in good shape -- I will put a spoonful or two of plain salt in the beet pulp (2x a day for 2-3 days before loading) and this seems to work pretty well. I also offer soaked beet pulp during the trip, and after we get there. Once the horses are loaded, I usually stop trying to put any kind of salt or electrolytes into their feed because they won't eat it as well, so we forego that and I will give it to them with a syringe if I give it at all. Another thing you can try is bringing a bushel barrel along and filling it up half full with water then soaking a flake of hay in it -- some horses really like that. Thru the years my horses have got me trained so that I use nearly as much water soaking and wetting their hay and feed as I give to them to drink, it really does go a long way towards getting them to the ride in good shape and keeping everything functioning well for an entire week, especially when they are being hauled for 12 to 14 hour stretches.

You do know about Hwy 20 being closed for construction after 7 p.m. Email me if you have any questions.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV