[RC] [Guest] Over Ridden, But Fit To Continue - Ridecamp Moderator

Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx
This statement, IMO, is an OXYMORON.
If you ARE fit to continue, you haven't over ridden.
If you have over ridden, you ARE NOT fit to continue.
Ride managers get alot of grief from riders who get abusive with vets and volunteers. Time to step up and listen to the little voices in our guts that tell us there is a problem developing.
I would rather give a vet/ride manager a heads up about a horse I thought was in trouble than keep silent and watch the horse get into trouble.
Having said that, IMO there are alot of very technically competent vets who have no starch in their spine about DQ'ing a horse when it is marginal. Time for a gut check, folks. Something about riders won't come to this ride if we are too tuff. I will-again and again- because I will respect that vet and ride manager much more.
I have ridden a few miles, not as many as lots of AERC members, but I have pulled horses more than once that the vet said could go on, and I knew that something was wrong. Could the horse come out of the glitch I sensed? I don't know, and will never know. I DO KNOW that they are still alive..one is 24 and still being ridden on short rides and he is still spunky.
Sometimes it is hard to keep your eyes on the prize--JUST FINISHING!! I have top tenned, but the best stories I can tell till I die are the ones where we just slugged it out and helped others along the way.