Re: [RC] Love our Trucks - Endurance that is - Barbara McCrary

Lud has been buying "chalk rock" colored trucks for some time.  His current truck is a 92 Dodge Ram diesel.  It has a 5-speed stick shift, 4WD.  I think we get about 12 mpg while hauling, if I remember correctly.  It has a diamond plate flatbed, carries four steel toolboxes under the bed, and always a large assortment of tools.....shovels, Pulaskis, chainsaws, tow chains, hammer, nuts, bolts, nails, wrenches, pliers, you name it!  It also has a Warn winch on the front.  It pulls our 20' aluminum gooseneck stock trailer, in which we converted the front section into a LQ.  The back section can haul four horses or a number of calves, or a 2500# bull, or 5-6 cows.  He's about due for another truck and plans to buy a 2004 model because all that remains in CA are white ones.  I flat-out refused to have a white truck.  Everything else he can choose, but I put my foot down about "no white".  There is a lovely "almond" color that we both like, but he has to order what he wants in equipment, so he'll wait until the 2004 models come out.  His current truck has less than 100,000 miles, but they have been brutal miles!  His trucks always get used like mini-bulldozers around here.  Baths are optional and occasional.

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Love our Trucks - Endurance that is

----- Original Message -----

Hey, I am really enjoying and interested in reading about everyone's endurance rigs.  I think we all love our trucks almost as much or maybe more? than our horses.  I know that I make sure my "rig" is clean and shiny before I head out for a ride.

*I'm laughing at this , as I probably have the dirtiest truck then, it never gets washed, until the first winter rain, that is.  Just plain no point to it, as we are very dusty; would be dirt covered by the next day.  Plus the dirt hides all the strange scratches in the paint that appeared one year; key marks? Well, I sure did make a mistake with the color!  got seduced by the rich, dark purple (love purple).  Next year Dodge came out with a gorgeous bronze...sure wish I had picked THAT color as it most resembles the color of the dirt we have here.  Next truck I buy definatly will be dirt colored.

Karen