[RC] OK: suggestions sought on rearing/brattiness (long) - A. Perez

 Having weighed in on the side of the 'smackers' (though I
don't favor use of lumber or hitting on the head), I'm happy to
hear any suggestions from 'no violence' folks would deal with my
TWH gelding: this horse is extremely responsive, gives to the
bit well, has great self-carriage.  He is great in most
situations except (1) when ridden in the fields where he is
boarded, near but out of sight of the herd and (2) when
returning from a trail ride, heading home, when asked to stop
and stand (allowing a car to pass, say) before crossing the
road.  In both these situations he gets bratty and threatens to
rear (sometimes does).  The 'keeping the hind-end moving'
approach does not help much when I need to KEEP HIM STILL to
allow a car to pass (no room to circle on the side of the road).
I have been giving him a good whack with the crop on the side
of his neck and saying 'NO!'.  Usually only takes one or two
whacks to get him to stand.  However, another woman also rides
him (I recruited her to get him out more, since he has been
acting herd-bound I thought that would help), and she does not
like disciplining him.  When he started bucking and rearing with
her while riding on the farm (scenario # 1 above), her approach
was to retreat to the ring and do ring-work til he settled down.
Well, the ring is in sight of the herd, so in that case I think
he won (I was not present at the time).
 I am certain this behavior is not fear or pain induced: he is
staging a temper tantrum to get his own way by trying to
intimidate his rider (he is very alpha in the herd: acts like a
stud, bosses all the pther horses).  I don't see how
ground-work/suppling excercises would help in this situation,
though I'd be happy to hear suggestions along those lines.
  Since this other rider is hestitant to discipline him: what
do the pacifists on the list suggest she do?

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag