[RC] Rearing and "Smacking" them - Lynette

He is herd-sour and when
he's ready to go home and my sister doesn't make the corner back, he
throws a tantrum and takes to rearing. That is DISOBEDIANT no matter >how
you put it.
As someone described it earlier, he is a "spoiled shit." We don't beat him
or
abuse him, but you damned right we smack the hell out of him. I've never

Because you are still having problems with him throwing tantrums and rearing
even though you are "smacking the hell out of him" just goes to show that
you are not teaching him any thing.  The problem with this idea of hitting a
horse over the head if he rears is that it is almost impossible to get the
timing right so the horses learns. If you can hit the horse over the head
just as he is going up, maybe he might learn not to do it again, (notice I
said "might"). But chances are most people are just trying to hang on and
ride out the rear, then "after" the horse is done with the act they hit them
over the head. The horse is not associating the punishment, pain, (however
you want to put it), with the rear. The only thing that he is learning at
this point is that he can not trust you, because he does not understand why
you are hitting him. And they will get "bratty" because they do not know
when they are going to start being "hit." Stress over being "hit," smacked,
whacked, beaten or abused, not matter how you want to put it, in itself will
cause a horse to misbehave.

When I was 13 I liked to watch the Lone Ranger, ( I know some of you are
saying, "who?") And he had a horse named Silver. He would rear the horse up
and say HI-HO Silver and Away..... At the end of the words and the rear the
horse would take off down the trail. At 13 I thought this was cool and
taught my Arab/pony cross how to do this. He did it very well and the good
part was I learned how to ride a rear. The bad part was when I sold him, the
lady that bought him, did not think this trick was cool. :-) So she asked me
to train him "not to do that." Teaching a horse not to rear is simple.
Disengage the rear! You just have to get and keep the horse moving. A horse
has to stop to rear. If he is in a situation where you know he rears, or you
can feel him starting to set up to rear, kick him, use a crop at the leg,
(not the head), whatever it takes to get him moving. He may still go up, but
it will be a small rear, because he or she will be busy trying to avoid your
cues. Then always make the horse do what he was refusing to do by rearing.
And always, always make sure the horse is rearing because he trying to avoid
doing something like going away from other horses or crossing water, and not
because of pain. Because anytime you are hitting a horse who is rearing to
avoid pain, you are abusing him.

Sorry this is so long. One of the reasons I don't post very much, too windy.
:-)

Lynette Helgeson, from the windy state of ND.
PS. I also like the post about teaching to give to the bit. The horse may be
rearing to avoid the bit. Be sure and figure out why the horse is rearing
and go from there, but I personally don't believe that hitting them teaches
them anything and I hope that no one reading his list goes out and try's
hitting as a tool to teach.