[RC] The difference between CORRECTION and PUNISHMENT (was 'whackem') - A. Perez

...."he said that I should tie my horse to a post with a bridle
on, then raise the bit to the highest hole on the bridle for
three hours,  do this with each side then at the same time for a
total of nine hours.  This whacking between the ears sounds like
the same kind of advice.  Way to wreck a horse. "

The statement above shows a failure to appreciate the difference
between correction and punishment. They are NOT ther same thing
at all: CORRECTION (popping a horse for rearing at the moment he
rears) is immediate, timed precisely with the behavior being
discouraged.  In behavioral science it is called negative
reinforcement, and is scientifically proven to be effective.

The 'tie 'em to a post for nine hours and let'em think about it'
is PUNISHMENT: after the fact.  It is useless because the horse
has NO IDEA why it is being hurt.  Mostly likely all it will
learn is to stay as far from that post as possible.

I am NOT advocating beating a horse between the ears so hard it
leaves a scar.  In fact I'd rather just slap them on the neck
(or even better, verbally reprimand them IF the horse in
question understands and respects the reprimand).
And for non-dangerous behaviors, I would rather train a horse,
through positive reinforcement, an alternative behavior: but for
dangerous behaviors, I think they need to be addressed directly
and effectively: NO means NO!

Have you ever spent time with a toddler that keeps doing
something annoying, and the mother keeps saying 'Johnny, please
stop doing that' and Johnny keeps right on doing it, and the mom
keeps saying it, and you end up thinking 'Lord, WHAT a brat!'
and want to give them BOTH a good spanking?  THAT approach to
training is what 'wrecks' horses.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag