Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] BC accidents, etc.

Jan Jeffers

A very knowledgeable horseman said at one of his clinics, "You would be =
crazy to try and jump into a moving car, so why in the world would =
anyone attempt to mount a moving horse?" A horse should stay in "park" =
until you are ready to put him in "drive".

I agree wholeheartly with the above regarding a moving car/horse.  If your
horse is taught to stand for a mount, albeit to mount from the fender of
the trailer, a rock, picnic table (which is better for the horse than
trying to mount from ground level), you have control of the situation.

This thread regarding accidents with reins, breast collars, as well as
bridles and the like boils down to being aware of what your horse/mule is
doing at all times not to mention training the animal to respect you and
your space.  Also be aware of your surroundings, as well as other riders
in the area.

Jan Jeffers