[RC] Anglo's and Part bred Arabs - Joane Pappas White

From: "Joane Pappas White" <Lyoness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 6:36 PM
Subject: Anglo's and Part bred Arabs

Hello Ridecamp,

I wanted to address the question about 1/2 Arab and Partbred horses for
endurance. I thought I would share some observations from our last 7 years
with quite an equine mixture.

Before we get to the partbreds, I should mention that we do have a number
of
purebred endurance Arabs so we do have some comparison.  Two of those are
being ridden by our junior LD riders. Taj Rai Hassan has done over 300
miles
with Morgan Young and has all the qualities of a great endurance horse.
When I look for a horse for me, I look for size and substance as I ride as
HW.  The partbred horses offer those qualities and I have been drawn to
them
from the beginning.

I started endurance on Thumper the  1250 lbs. Quarter Horse with an
Attitude!  Old ride stories from the earliest Ridecamp issues will tell of
the exploits of Thumper.  Thumper actually had a lot of TB in him and to
this day, he loves to take a long trot and go all day on the ranch.  He was
retired from endurance because he was a quarter horse and, after all, you
have to have an Arab for endurance---just know one tell that to Thumper.

Next, I purchased my "teacher" horse---Ciera County (CC), a wonderful
Anglo-Arab 100 miler mare from Christy Jansen in Canada.  CC taught me
soooooo much.  We worked through my back problems, my fear of heights, my
fear of speed----then while running and playing with the herd in the
mountain pastures at the ranch, she broke a P2 bone in her left hind
foot----arghhhhhh.  Although she still loves to ride the ranch and is a
broodmare extraordinaire, she is retired from endurance.  I now have her
babies---- Castle Country (CC's) Karahty (nicknamed Kat) who is just
starting under saddle at 3 1/2 and is an Anglo-Arab that is going to be
awesome; CC's Star a two year old filly out of Outlaw Trail's Drukumo that
has bone substance to die for; and new Baby No Name who is a repeat of that
match out of CC and OT Drukumo ---Baby No Name  just takes my breath away!
Every one of those offspring are endurance bound and are more than 1/3 TB
as
CC is more than 1/2 TB.

Balbriggan came to us from a 10 year dressage career in Canada.  Her
nickname is Silver and she is a 16.2hh 1/2 Arab 1/2 Trakehner mare.  She is
an incredible athlete but has an extended trot that has impulsion beyond
amazing.  After being arena soured, endurance has given her a whole new
attitude about being a horse.  Her current rider, senior newbie Ken Lake,
has ridden almost 300 miles on her since the end of March.  At 15 years
old,
"Hi Ho" as Ken calls her,  can take care of herself and her rider like the
true  War Mare she is.  When she is not riding endurance, she returns to
the
show arena for English events, or the ranch to be a cow pony.  A couple of
weekends ago, she went into a jumping event and took 8 jumps with a young
inexperienced rider and made it look easy.  All of this was within  the
same
month that she BC'd the Basin LD.

Then there is my OT Belle Star.  The AERC reports Belle as a "Grade" mare.
Crockett and Sharon take exception to that as her sire is  OT Drukumo.
They
can call her whatever they want but it is her size and heart that make her
such an exceptional animal.  The horses with some warmblood and TB in the
mix often have the size, substance and stamina for HW riders and rough
terrain.

I would encourage you to try any horse in endurance that has the
conformation, substance and attitude for the sport provided that you are
willing to condition properly and retire the horse if endurance is not
his/her cup of tea.

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah
Lyoness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx