[RC] rearing horses - Karen Clanin

first, keep in mind that where it is being advocated to whack this horse is the exact place where you can also kill him if hit with something hard. if this is the method of choice i suggest one of the "popper" bats, two pieces of flat leather that are stitched only in the handle area, the wider ends are not stitched, makes a lot of noise but no physical damage.

second, be absolutely sure there is no physical reason --- i.e. pain -- for the horse to be doing this behavior.

i truely dislike a horse that rears, i'll ride a bucker instead anyday -- i should of said 'would ride' since i am no longer riding. however, back in the late 50's when i was a teenager and nearly full grown i rode a maybe 12.3 / 13 hand welsh mare in a pony color guard all over the state of indiana and carried the state flag. the pony i was given to ride reared and went over backwards on purpose when she didn't get her way. i got rather adept in parades of taking the flag out of the boot, stepping off, letting her crash and getting back on as she got up and catching up to the rest of the ponies. my girlfriend's dad, owner of the ponies, thought it was really cute to let the foals run loose and when my mare couldn't see her foal up and over she went.......on the concrete streets. yeah, i was an invicible kid at that age and would of rode her upside down to be able to participate in the color guard, but it sure put a dislike of a rearing horse into me.

unless one rides this horse 'on the bit' every second they are on it they don't have a prayer of distracting this horse (my opinion). if it were mine, and i still wanted to ride this horse, i'd take it to a cowboy and pay him to ride it for 30 days and get this issue settled. let someone who knows what they are doing bop it between the ears. i really don't think sweet talking or distracting a horse that has a rearing behavior is going to stop the problem, i've been a professional trainer and i'd still send it to someone else.

karen