Re: [RC] Travel Papers - Truman Prevatt

I've done rides in the east and the west. I've travels and done rides in all the SE states, Tx, VA, CO, UT, WY and MT. I've never found the paperwork to be that daunting. You need a Coggins and a healt certificate to travel cross state lines in most states. It is best to carry your regristration or some other proof of ownership - even if it is only a detailed description (better than what goes on the coggins) signed by vet.  My current Coggins has three pictures of the horse on it so that works just fine for identification.

If you live in a state that has a brand ispection requirement you should have one of those also. If you live in a state that has no brand inspection requirement don't worry about it. That's pretty much it.

Of all the states I have driven through the ones that even required you to stop are AZ (they could care less about the horses they were interested in the hay), UT (at the port of entry and they didn't even look at any paperwork and told me to have a good stay), and CO ( in '96 when there was a VS outbreak - they looked at the paperwork but didn't record it). The state of FL is the only one I know of where you will stop at the bourder (or else they will run you down) and you will have to show a health certificate to get in. Every road across the Suwanee river has a Ag station - even the smallest county roads - there is no way to avoid an Ag station and cross the Suwanee into FL. They keep a record of every horse coming and leaving the state. From time to time they will look at the horse and compare it to the paperwork. If you have the electronic Coggins and Health Certificates from "globalvetlink" it's very easy since they can call them up on line. If you have the old paper version they scan it and keep an electronic file of it.

If you live in FL dealing with other states is a piece of cake.

So I wouldn't let the paper work keep you from going other places to ride. It is fun to do that and you meet a lot of new people that way.

Truman

Robin Everett wrote:
My vet is pretty knowledgeable.  When I decided to do the Nevada ride, I just told her and she told me what I needed and when.  She did not mention a brand inspection. {: >  And in the 4 years I've been doing endurance, it was the first time I've done a Coggins (since the purchase exams).  I do fantasize over the rides across the country and would love to haul all over and try some in every region.  Financially, that's just not possible.  Logistically, it seems a bit daunting, too.  So much paperwork! {: >