Re: [RC] Travel Papers - Robin Everett

My vet is pretty knowledgeable.  When I decided to do the Nevada ride, I just told her and she told me what I needed and when.  She did not mention a brand inspection. {: >  And in the 4 years I've been doing endurance, it was the first time I've done a Coggins (since the purchase exams).  I do fantasize over the rides across the country and would love to haul all over and try some in every region.  Financially, that's just not possible.  Logistically, it seems a bit daunting, too.  So much paperwork! {: >

Heidi Smith <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>But you wouldn't be wrong if you always had the Coggins and health cert, right?  It just might be over-kill (at least in cases like Washington and Oregon).  So if you were uncertain of the laws in any particular state, you'd be safe if you had it.  Except for that pesky brand inspection!

No, you would not be "wrong"--but I would add that it is your veterinarian's responsibility to know what you need to go to any particular state, and he/she has easy access to finding out that information.  Just a point, but not all health certificates are created equal, either--some states require particular information on them that others do not.  Just one example that sticks in my mind is that Florida requires that the horse's temperature at the time he was examined be actually listed on the certificate (and I think a few other states do, too)--most states just require that the horse HAVE a health certificate.  (And BTW, it is only the requirements of the state of destination with which you have to comply--not those states you travel through to get there...)

As to exceptions to the Coggins such as the reciprocity between Oregon and Washington--I guess my question would be, why WOULD you get a Coggins, if you live in one of those states and don't plan to travel anywhere else except for the other one?  Many endurance riders in the NW are in that situation.

Heidi

Heidi Smith <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>It is a federal requirement that a horse have a current coggins to cross state lines. You ALWAYS need a negative EIA (equine infectious anemia) test (coggins or elisa) and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection aka Health Certificate.

Uh, actually, no it isn't.  Coggins requirements are set by the individual states.  And some states have reciprocal agreements whereby horses can go back and forth between those specific states without one (but with a health certificate).  Oregon and Washington have such a reciprocal agreement.

Heidi

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?