[RC] travel papers - Dot Wiggins

You can get a "Life Time" travel permit that is good for as long as you own that horse good for travel in Mont. Idaho, Wash, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colo, Arizona, New Mexico.  I don't know if it includes Calif. and other western States,  but I think so.   It has a photo of the horse and other info, including brands, tattoos, if any, color, breed registration #,  markings, etc.  Last one I got cost around $30.  A "season" annual permit is less than $10,  sometimes there is a minimum fee for mileage if the brand inspector comes to your place for just one horse.  State law enforcement departments/agriculture departments can tell you where to find the inspector.   (In most states any Sheriffs deputy or Highway patrol office can do it, but they don't like to.)  Current health papers are required in addition.

All that being said,   I have taken horses thru most of the western states for many years,  moved some, sold some, always with brand inspections, (almost always with health papers) and never been asked for them, even at "Port of Entry" spots, but know folks who have been stopped.  Not fun.
Haven't done that much out of state hauling for several years, have heard they are a little more picky now.
When we had some horses stolen I sure wished they were more on the ball.

In most western states it is not legal to transfer ownership of any livestock, including branded or  unbranded horses, without a brand inspection, even if registration papers are transfered.   I know almost no one does it.  If you sell a horse with someone else's brand without having the paperwork (at any sale  for instance) the money will be held till the original owner clears it.