Re: [RC] travel papers - Heidi Smith

>In most western states it is not legal to transfer ownership of any livestock, including branded or  unbranded horses, without a brand inspection, even if registration papers are transfered.   I know almost no one does it.  If you sell a horse with someone else's brand without having the paperwork (at any sale  for instance) the money will be held till the original owner clears it.

I'm reminiscing here, but when my parents bought our ranch, our brand came with it.  I can remember when I was a kid, we got a letter from an auction yard in western Montana somewhere with a picture of a horse in it.  The horse had our brand on it, and someone had brought it in to sell.  Well, we had never seen the horse before in our lives, but when we got to checking back with the family that had sold us the ranch, it turned out that someone in the family had lost the horse to a packer in a poker game, and the packer had later turned all his stock out to winter somewhere up in the Selway (now a wilderness area), and then had sold his outfit to somebody, who in turn had rounded up what stock he could find belonging to the packer.  To make a long story short, we sent the auction yard a bill of sale, since we owned the brand and were sure the horse had not been stolen from anybody.  It was a really nice well-broke buckskin gelding, as I recall.

Heidi