[RC] using breast collars, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

the original post on this talked about the wreck that happened when the saddle slipped under the horse's belly.  i have seen some horses really freak out when this happens.  my thinking is that you should sack your horse out like that, in  the round pen or arena, enough that they know not to panic and run crazy if it happens.   thats what i do.  after training a horse for a guy who got the saddle on, but didnt tighten it properly, causing the horse to run crazy in the round pen for about an hour, bucking and fighting with the saddle under her belly,  i learned quickly that you can teach a horse to tolerate such things.  takes a little time and patience, but it sure is worth it!   a friend of mine was riding one of my horses in a ctr, she didnt check her girth to see if it was tight.  first turn on the trail, the saddle slipped under the horse's belly, she fell off, and the horse just stood there looking at her, like what the heck are you doing down there?  ed