Re: [RC] [RC] Using breast collars on flat trails... - Karen

I'm a little behind being on digest, so this has probably already been mentioned. You shouldn't need a breast collar to keep your horse under control if it's saddle falls over. It's very easy to hobble train a horse, so that they learn to stand still and be rescued rather than panic and run. It's also pretty easy to put a horse into a round pen or otherwise safe enclosure and allow the horse to learn that a saddle falling under it's belly isn't going to kill it. I've seen a lot of these kinds of accidents over the years, the worst ones are when the horse gets a hind foot thru the stirrup and shreds all of their flesh and hide. On a couple of occasions I've thrown my tack on at the vet check, back over the horse and loosely done the girth. Then lead the horse back and all of a sudden he stops moving and it's because the saddle fell. They really should all be taught these things before being taken out in public. I now try to reinforce the hobble training at least once a year -- the horses are usually not amused and just stand there, too smart to argue about it. I've had them in situations where this training has saved their lives, and mine. Two weeks ago a friend rode one of my horses and fell off, but he didn't let go until he was underneath the horse, still grasping onto the saddle. :+> The horse stopped and stood over him even tho they had been going at a pretty good clip until that turn.

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV