Re: [RC] [RC] Using breast collars on flat trails... - Laurie Durgin

Had a saddle roll on Honey in early training, she spooked, ran thru 2 fences and only stopped cause Rascal dashed across the pasture and whinnied to her. She stopped dead by the end of the pasture, shaking, saddle finally slipped off her.It just wasn't tight enough and a synthetic western.Set her training back alot. She never forgot it.
Since then I never put a saddle on her or Rascal without a breastcollar. His saved my at least twice when saddle shifted, once at a runaway (other horse started it). Plus after his normal 4 poops on the hour ride, the saddle girth loosens some.(he also has a crupper ,as he is a barrel). Laurie (it is raining again when I planned to ride Honey!!!! )

Everyone,
This is an issue that was recently brought home to me in a very personal and profound way. I am only just finding out the full details.
At the Pyramid Challenge, my plans were to ride for the front. I had
prepared my horse and myself. I knew we were fit. In fact, he was so "fit" that he bucked at the start of the 50 mile ride, and the saddle slipped. I came off and he ran off with the saddle underneath him. Somehow the entire stirrup leather got pulled off the saddle, so we had to have it repaired. We ended up going out about half an hour after everyone else. We maintained a steady pace. I out for the last ten miles.

The end of the story is that we had travelled together for forty miles of muddy trail with a saddle with a broken tree.No wonder he was a little off at the third vet check....

On getting back home I took the saddle to a repair shop in Camden. The owner of the shop told me that he could put a new tree in it if he knew what tree to order. Instead I sent it back to the original maker of the saddle, Marilyn Horstmeyer. She found that it was broken on both one side and the fork. She has been able to repair it. All this could have been avoided, IF (what a big word) I had used his breast collar. As many years as I've been riding, I should have known better. Things happen. It's Murphy's Law that whatever can go wrong will go wrong. So... I've learned a valuable lesson. It is costing me the saddle repairs, and worry over what might have gone wrong with my horse. It is costing me time out of the saddle waiting for the one that fits him. (He has a very wide back) He was fine after he rested at the camp and is moving fine now. But I am so glad I did not take him back out for that last ten miles of trail.

I guess what I want everyone to think about is the importance of preventing problems. We have equipment that is designed to protect us, and our horses, and a breast collar can even protect a saddle. In my case hindsight is better than foresight. I hope my experience can prevent some one else from having a similar problem.
Lucie Hancock and HH Trinity