[RC] Of incredible strength, courage and friendship - Chris Austin

We started as we usually do for our Sunday training ride into the sandy
paths of the Apalachicola Forest in beautiful N. Florida. It was early
and the trails were shady as we embarked on a nice steady trot. The day
before Beth and I had ridden there and stopped to enjoy the cooling
waters of Blue Sink. The water is clean and cold and the horses drank
their fill and cooled their bodies. Because it was such a great stop on
Saturday we decided to include it on this ride also before heading back
to the trailers.

The entire day was off to a great start as we ended up exploring new
paths and water holes all within the forest system and turned to head
back to the cool waters of Blue Sink. As we first entered it was
refreshing as described above. You don't go far from the edge before you
are swimming(less than 4 feet). Paula soon found out that Rock wasn't
much of a swimmer and headed back to the shore as did Beth, Jeff and
myself. Jeff and I thought we'd go back in 'cause our guys did enjoy the
cooling waters. Within seconds tragedy was about to rear its ugly head
as Gus started to SINK! 1150 pounds of thrashing, panicking horse in the
water! The only thing I was able to do was scream his name and stay out
of his path. It was like a bad scene in a tearjerking movie! This was
not happening! Forward thrush, backwards flip...what is happening?!
Still I continue to scream his name, then the worst vision any horse
owner could possibly witness...he laid his head down and down he went
with the bubbles signaling the end. BUT...in an incredible instance
SPlASH to the top was this incredible animal with all his strength as he
must have pushed himself from the bottom to the top and started to
shore. In the greatest feat I had witnessed so far this mighty animal
never gave up. Our friends were crying with relief (not Jeff, he was
quite composed) from what they witnessed. It was then they had told me
his leg got hung up in the reins which I didn't see. Readers, I have
scissor snap reins and I am hear to tell you that angels unsnapped that
rein so he could free himself and head to shore.You won't ever get me to
think otherwise. I have thanked God 100 times that day and night. I
hugged that horses neck like a long lost lover and in my book, he is my
HERO. Just as we thought there was no turning back he showed us the
determination, strength and courage to finish the ride.

In the ado, Jeffs horse Hercules had injured his front leg with a non
stopping bleeder and Gus looking a bit exhausted, Beth on Joker her new
Anglo in training and Paula on Rock chose to ride back to the trailers
so they could come rescue us. I cautioned them as they mounted to ride
safe not fast as we would be there no matter when they returned and for
the time all seemed well.

Jeff and I continued to monitor the horses who looked at us like, where
are they going without us? C'mon you crazy humans, it's time to go! It's
at this time we as humans have to remind them that we know best..so
munching on grass was their Plan B. While we waited Hercules bleeding
stopped and Gus acted like it was just another opportunity to eat more
grass. Systems were in check.

Paula and Beth were back in no time with the trailers and emotions. I
think Gus was truly enjoying the extra love and attention he was getting
though I don't think he knew why. I have the great pleasure of having
these folks as my friends and we (Gus and I) thank them from the bottom
of our hearts.

Chris Littlefield and Justa Nother Rock (Gus) Quarter Horse
Extroidinaire