Re: [RC] [RC] New Truck (Nina - Stephanie E Caldwell

I wanted to get the F450 Ford. 4x4 etc. well the insurance for the over
one
ton trucks is commercial - period.
Cost for  new F450  $1200 per year..  Cost for my F350  $ 500 per year..I
may still end up with one and bite the ins costs

Here in North Carolina state law says that any vehicle *rated* over 10,000
lb can not go on a personal policy, it must go commercial. That means
Duallys and most 3/4 ton vehicles. Anything over 10,000 lbs here in NC is a
Mid weight vehicle.

Another consideration with most states commercial insurance you are only
covered for liability on trailers you schedule on your policy.

I understand many states are setting up DOT policy to weigh ALL pickup
trucks pulling a trailer, RV  Horse travel - what ever.  I think SD ND NE
do this now.
Some states already do so. I understand PA NC SC are going to start this.

Yes, we have this here now. I know some people who have been caught
recently, they can pull your rig over at anytime!

I run a 26000 pnd licence plate rating on the F350  - I would be 'legal'
on
the tag and the registration. But over on the mfgr specs.  Its a no win -
IF you get stopped.

The flip side to running commercial plates is that you are legally held to a
higher level of responsibility carrying comm'l tags. My truck carrys a
personal tag, I'm overweight before I get into it, but I'm not governed by
DOT standards with a personal tag.

I'm really nitpicky with weight and being overweight. Not to say we don't
haul overweight, but I had a bad experience when a friend lost her truck
brakes and almost went off the side of a mountain. When you get pulled by
DOT here in NC they check you to the rated weight, not what you're tagged
for. They can (and do!) impound vehicles and you are not allowed to get
anything out of your rig, animals included. The horses here in Gaston County
are taken to a local farm and kept there until you bail yourself, your rig,
and then your horses out.

Insurance varies from state to state, but most states personal policies will
not cover a vehicle rated over 10,000 lbs, but most agents are too clueless
to realise how much these things can pull or carry. I know because I drive a
truck and haul a trailer, until I started hauling I didn't know and didn't
care! If you're rated over 10,000 lbs on a personal policy they do not by
law have to pay your claim, nothing more than financial responisbility. When
I upgrade my truck to a dually I'll bite the bullet and go comm'l and comm'l
insurance, but I'll be damn sure I'm not overweight. It's not the legal
problems associated, but too much can happen too quick.

Steph