[RC] XP 2001/2004 LONG - Jonni Jewell

We also went with Purina products. Had no problem finding them all along the
route. We used Strategy, and their small alfalfa pellets, and bought hay
along the route. Yes, the horses often changed from one type to another over
night. We did not gradually introduce any hay. Most that we bought were
grass types. Never had trouble finding any, and never ran out. The horses
preferred the cheap, yucky looking stuff, and did not like the super
expensive Timothy we got in North Platte. Go figure. We also fed beet pulp,
and oats. The biggest problem with hay, was that it seemed when ever anyone
got some new hay, got it loaded up on their trailers, if they did not get it
covered, it RAINED!!! It became a joke. We would see someone with uncovered
hay, and we would laugh and say "well, it's gonna rain soon". My hay rack
has a solid floor. I found, even putting tarps under the hay, and wrapping
real well, water would creep under the hay, and get it wet. If I did a lot
of hay storage on the rack again, I would either drill holes in my rack, or
get some of the rubber floor mats like in restaurants, with the holes in
them,and put them under the hay. Because we could find hay fairly often, I
tried to not have to get into it to feed, until we had fed all the hay that
we kept in the empty stall in the trailer. If we got new hay, and had not
used any up top, we would put it down in the empty stall. I tried to keep
the stuff up top for "emergencies", if we had no other hay to feed. It is a
pain to get up on the rack, undo the tarps, tie downs etc., drop hay, then
rewrap the hay and tie it down to keep it protected from the weather.

We also found that the horses seemed to like a choice of hay types. Their
eating habits were of such that they liked one type one day, and another hay
the next. So a change and variety seemed to work well for us. If they did
not want to eat, often giving them something different triggered them to eat
well.

We had no problem finding water. We carried a 55 gallon plastic barrel in
the trailer, and about 4-6 "Aquatainers", which are square 5 (or 6) gallon
water cans. We never paid for water, but would offer if we felt that the
location might not have an abundance of water. Usually gas stations,
fairgrounds and campgrounds had easy to access water, and allowed us to fill
up.

Just some more thoughts, which many I believe can be applied to cross
country travel, and not just a ride like the XP2001 / 2004.

Jonni