[RC] Cave Run NATRC DNF - Roger Rittenhouse

Go figure, I really thought we would do well here. We rode this trail about
5 times. It was his first LD and first 50 miler when it was 101 deg HOT.

Same trail as the AERC NC for two years - He did the pre-ride.

But could we get done a 30 mile SLOW NATRC - hell no.

We went to the ride to get our 50 miles of CTR required for he AHA NC CTR
to be held this NOV in FL.

He only needed this one ride 50 miles over 2 days a 30/20.

SO what went wrong.
SORE BACK.
WHY, well the trail was 'normal' ALL up/down and rocks and more rocks and
rough trail and more rocks... and he only had RIM pads on. SO we took it
slower then normal
And the ride was timed at 4.1 mph SLOW.
Therefore we WALKED allot more then NORMAL.

UP-DOWN hills and over ROCKS.

The problem was we have NOT gone that slow and that much walking this year.
The longest ride time this year was a 30 miler in 5:30. Our longest
training-condx ride was about 3 hrs. Most of our rides either the LDs or
the condx rides are NOT walking but trot-canter and some walk.

The excessive time in the saddle - balanced or not- at a walk just took its
toll.

Now the sore back thing MAY be from the saddle?
I just had it re-worked by the maker  Synergist - to a mold made from the
Equi-measure product. I have not note any issues to date.
The back was sore at the end of the saddle AND BEHIND, which may not be
caused by the saddle,
But may still be latent issues with his back from the fall? He flipped on
his back with saddle and landed on the upside down on the saddle.
Heck I am still sore why  no him. While all the chiro work has not indicted
a major issue anymore, there could still be a problem.

Next, his shoeing is a mess. I had a review done by a great shoer from IN
(TOM?)  - all the DBTR will know who I mean.
Appears he is out of balance on all 4- I ask how did I let my shoer get
this far out of control. REALLY ticked me off, that I was not checking
close- I did notice after the last time he looked quite long in the toe and
unbalanced in the heels.
So walking that much on hard pack while unbalanced? who knows.

I COULD have taken him out on Sunday. The vet was new, and did not
recommend I pull or would she pull me. No way this horse would have left a
VC. I iced him some at night - allowed by the rules, but  in the am he was
too bad for me to ask him to go out.
It was not worth putting him though it and cause more problems. He was
sound - never did take a lame step.

So we loaded up and came home.
The chrio/acupuncture vet is coming next week...
Jaye Perry shoer NR 1 is coming Sunday afternoon. To fix up the problems I
let go too long.
I normally have Jaye work him over about 2 or 3 times per year to make
those minor 5% corrections needed and my regular shoer can keep him going
OK the rest of the time.
Well I missed getting Jaye to work on him LAST year and all of this year..
WAY too long.

Once I can ride him - next week, I will recheck saddle fit with the Port
Lewis Saddle fit pad and go from there.

Now I have to re-work the schedule to pick another NATRC CTR ride. There
are 3 rides from now till Oct.

I will have to drop a LD or so to get to one.

The clue here was asking a horse to ride a ride he was NOT conditioned to
ride. He was surely in shape fit that is but NOT ridden the same in he
conditioning rides at home as he was ridden in this ride.
I really should have moved out faster and just waited. As it was I was
about 15 ahead of the schedule, but I should have  have trotted and
cantered more where the trail permitted it

Just rider error.

The ride was run by The Daniel Boone Trail Riders, same gang who did the
AERC NC, RM was Jan Taylor.
A very well run ride well marked, the was new but seemed OK , Horsemanship
judge  was Shirley Parker from TX a- about one the best fair and balanced
horsemanship judge in NATRC, really do like her.
Got to visit with a few of the R5 riders I 'fit' with. It was a fun ride -
even if we did not finish.

Roger R
V-MAX Equine HRM
Equine Performance Technology