Re: [RC] XP 04 - Jonni Jewell

I really did not have too much trouble finding places to refill propane (I
got it when I saw it, BEFORE I ran out). I would start watching for camp
grounds before the holding tanks were full, and again, dump them when I
could. They could never be "too empty". Most fairgrounds had dump stations.
Also, commercial camp grounds do. You have to pay, but that was fine. While
some folks dump "grey" water (shower water) out on the ground, I really,
really try to not ever do that. The rest days in 2001 ranged from real nice
fairgrounds, with hot showers....to dirt fields near a cafe. But, they do
try to have the rest days near a town. The ride management needs these
services as much as the riders.  Even though we were out in the middle of no
where a few times during the second half of the ride, we usually could still
get to a town if needed. The most remote section was in Wyoming, when we
drove I think 250 miles (on dirt roads) between towns over 2 or was it 3
days. Before heading into that section, we were warned to be sure to have
tanks full, holding tanks empty, and food and water on supply. Some folks
carried an extra fuel can, as they could not go more than 200 miles on a
tank of fuel.

People were coming and going all along the route. But for the most part,
folks would join the ride for a minimum of a week. A Texas group split up
one entry, and each took different sections of the trail. That worked
well...and after a week with us, we hated to see them leave!!! (but then we
got to have new folks join us, and got to know them too) I had to laugh. One
day, in Utah, we had a bunch of folks from the area come to ride for just
the ONE day. I remember those of us who had been on the ride the whole time
up to that day, grumbling about them coming in with fresh horses etc. to
ride one day, and just leave.  Same with the very last day. Folks who showed
up just to ride the finish were not looked upon with favor by those who had
been on the road for extended time frames. <grin> Of course, it was their
loss for only riding a day, as they really did not get the true feel for
what the XP2001 was all about..........

Jonni