Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] How do I train my horse to be braver? (LONG) - A. Perez

"Your advice is good for training a beginning trail horse or
retraining one that has lost confidence for some reason. Not
exactly what I was after...."

Ummm... I don't see how the approach I suggested applies any
less to a high-mileage horse than it does to a greenie.  I
probably did not explain myself clearly.  And since she, in your
words, 'lacks confidence', she is, IMHO, still green.  Lack of
'bravery' or confidence is the DEFINITION of 'green' in my
book.

The best way to succeed in training any critter is to set it up
for success so you can reward appropriate behavior.  It has been
proven scientifically by behaviorists that this (rewarding
desireable behavior) is much more effective than punishing
negative behavior.  So ya gotta have good behavior to reward.

By exposing your mare to a situation (riding alone) that
triggers an unwanted behavior (spooking) for brief periods, it
pretty likely she will stop spooking one she figures out that
the separation will be brief.  That's your opportunity to reward
her like crazy!  Also, the return of her pal will be a reward as
well, which is why you want the initial separations to be BRIEF:
so she DOESN'T get upset, and so she will be rewarded by the
return of her buddy while she is calm.  How long the separations
are intially depends on where her 'freak-out' threshold is.  But
you want to start within that threshold.  If she doesn't get
scared and lonely til mile 99, have her ride alone til mile
95...

You say "I can ride this horse at a 7 - 10 mph pace for 25 or 30
miles while getting the snot beat outta me with the spooking and
I don't get tired or sore. It's that last 20 - 25 miles that
really has me diving for the ibuprophen!! And
worrying about making time."

Just because YOU can tolerate 'getting the snot beat outta' you
during miles 0 - 20 does not make spooking then any more
acceptable than spooking later.  If you don't want her to spook
it has to be discouraged AT ALL TIMES.  It's really not fair to
expect her to figure out at what point YOU get tired of the
spooking: "Hmmm, we're at mile 25, Mom must be getting tired
now, so I'd better knock of the spooking!".  Consistancy is key
to training.  So training her not to spook early in the ride (or
on shorter rides) is a necessary step to getting her not to
spook later on.

As far as "Oh, and one of the best things an aspiring endurance
rider can do is GET THEE TO AN ENDURANCE RIDE." goes - this
seems like a bit of a non-sequitor to me, unless you are
implying that only someone who has ridden in an AERC sanctioned
event can possibly know anything about horses behavior, horse
training or trail riding.  But surely you're not that sort of
'endurance snob' are you?  I'll happily expound on my equestrian
credentials if you want me to, but I doubt you do.   I'm
planning on going to an LD ride as soon as I feel myself and my
horse are ready for one, AND as soon as there is one within a
reasonable drive (my biggest gripe with LD rides is just that
there are not more of them, with or without top ten, BC or
completion awards, but taht's another topic).  I had planned to
do Old Dominion but it got rained out.  Now I'm aiming for Fort
Valley.  Hope to see you there!

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag