Re: [RC] problem with 4 yr old - powergait

Great advice Penny!  A horse that knows the "go forward" cue and chooses to
react with backing can become dangerous.  The backing can become rearing,
which could become going over backwards on the rider.  I have a gelding that
started this, and Penny's method is what I used.  Ask, tell, demand.  My
gelding paid no attention to spurs, in fact they made him balk worse (so I
took them off).  A swat or two to the rear encouraged him to move forward,
and being consistent with it made him forget all about it.  He now moves
forward with leg cues.
P.

   I agree with Joni, but after ruling out pain, then look
 to your self and her training thus far.   First of all it
sounds like her "go" button is "stuck".
 Before heading out on the trail make sure it is firmly in
 place at home. I really like the "squeeze, cluck and
 spank"
 method Clinton Anderson advocates. My guy, Reno, was an
 extremely ring sour dressage horse I was able to pick up
 very cheap for his calibur of training. When I used any
 leg
 he would do as your filly is doing. Now all I have to do
 is
 lightly squeeze and he is right there. In the beginning
 when I started spanking after the click/or kiss, he threw
 major temper tantrum....the thing is, you have to
 continue
 RYTHMICALLY spanking at the same rate and and force
 (intensitivity of the spank) all the while your horse is
 having the temper tantrum or doing whater he is doing
 instead of going forward.(kicking out or bucking and
 going
 forward is NOT accepted) Stop only when you get one step
 of
 forward movement.