Re: [RC] buddy problem(long) - GoTory

Hi Rene-
   At first I thought maybe MY riding partner had written this, but as the
post continued I realized I didnt have to take it personally!
   Our styles are very different in many respects, but similar in others,
and I've benefitted greatly from that. She's the organized, methodical one,
I've
been able to be less so because of her.  She has things prepared and packed,
I throw it in and hope I've got what I need or can make do without it.  She
owns the truck, we bought the trailer together because the one we wanted was
more than either of us could handle financially alone.    We've learned that
our
horses can get along fine in camp but do much better alone in any kind of
competitive ride. We'll often trailer some place to condition and then split
up,
because they do better at their own pace than fighting to keep up or hold
back... easy trail rides from home we'll often go together, as we all enjoy
each
other's company.
   We have different feeding/supplementing issues- and that's the way it
should be - as we have DIFFERENT horses.  The mare I recently lost due to an
accident was an easy keeper, and while a faster walker, a slower finisher, than
hers.  Her horse has a lot more experience on rides and trails and, although a
little more challenging to keep the weight on, finishes faster and in better
shape than mine did.  He will be "baby-sitting" the new project horse- I
HOPE!!-
but *only* when it works for him... we're at completely different ends of the
spectrum right now- and that's the way it should be.
   One of the things I've had to re-learn -again and again- is that just
because I'm commited to doing things one way, doesn't mean someone else is
wrong
to do it another way... Your riding buddy must be doing some things right if
her horse is finishing well... On the other hand, she may need to have some
kind of  problem with her horse at a ride  before she's open to hearing
recommendations for a change in her approach...
   For you, though, I have to agree with a previous poster- if you're not
having fun then things have to change.  Can you agree to disagree?  And PLAN to
ride a different ride from each other?  It's a whole different ride- and a
much more satisfying one, I've found- to be WITH your horse, instead of with
another RIDER!!
   Caveat- I've only been back in the horse world for about 7 years,after a
quarter century hiatus, and have only had the pleasure of riding LD for about
the last 3 or 4 years, so don't have much experience on that side of the
books. So take this for what it's worth.  Good luck- and if you find a good
solution, let us know!        nikki