Re: [RC] snakes on trail vs turkeys - FancyNite

In a message dated 07/24/2003 8:42:34 PM Central Daylight Time, jcmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Ever top a hill and startle a bunch of turkeys?  I swear the saddle horn goosed me when my horse stopped dead in his tracks.  Also have chased turkeys down trail much to my horse's discomfort!  Too funny.  Would rather run across turkeys on trail than a bear.  Life is quite interesting when booking down trail.  It is a matter of never quite relaxing and always be ready tor the 'big gotcha'!!  Jeanie

Ok.... Jeanie... You did this not me!  You brought up BEAR!

I was riding at the Elk Valley ride a few years ago... (one of them AWESOME trails we have lost!  MAJOR BUMMER!!) actually it was 2000.  Anyway.

We arrived at camp and Debbie (Zanot, ride manager) told us a rattle snack took a "strike" at her horse, while marking trail... YIKES.  Then Elk were running through camp like they owned the place.... Yeah, I think they do! (lol)

We left the VC and went through the river, cross the rail road tracks.... Turn the corner and BOOM.... There was a big black bear.... Savage was looking down, deciding the best placement for his feet when I HALTED him.... OH CRAP...

I felt him QUIVER, not totally sure if it were he or I doing the quivering.  His heart rate jumped up to 200...  Savage turned his head (like a dog) and sniffed... then snorted to the BIG DOG... When all the sudden the "big dog" cantered towards us about 10 feet... OH SHIT.... EARL!!  Ok, I admit it... I SCREAMED FOR EARL (Baxter, another adopted parent of mine, whether he admits it or not!)  Savage backed up about 10 feet.... I was about ready to beat feet the other direction, when I thought... Yell at it... Well, this was ok, but the bear never left.  I knew Earl HAD to be right behind us.. (ok, I prayed he was)...  Savage, with a lot of encouragement, took a step forward... then so did the bear.  When all the sudden I heard the splashing through the river... I looked up and said THANK YOU!!!  It was Earl, he came barreling around the corner and said "Are you ok"?... I replied YES, BUT LOOK!  His eyes got big, but Catch me never missed a beat and kept going towards the bear...  Well, the bear decided NOW was a good time to exist trail LEFT! (figures)

Earl was surprised that I was stopped in the trail.... so I told him...
"Well, I figured if I waited long enough, the bear would find you more appetizing!"... lol
I can't tell you EXACTLY what he said to me... but it had something to do with Shit and something about a head!? hmmmm.   Moral of the story?  Always wait for the heavy weight breathing down your neck!

Ride Happy all!
Jinnifer