Re: [RC] ASB crosses, skitzo partners and LD vs whatever - YoYoDeux

Hi all,
I'm not quite a newbie - more of a rerun or a re-bie. I first joined AERC in '87, rode a few races over the years, and while fighting the usual uphill battle in career-land, I post-poned my ability to do serious riding until this year, though I think I've got a reasonable(?) amount of experience - worked at a 60 horse vacation ranch, studied with LTJ, managed to acquire 3 horses over the years - that sort of thing.

I'd like to make a few comments on some of the posts I've been reading, as I can relate to several:

1-NSHs - A year ago I got a 4 year old 1/2 arab and 1/2ASB who is safer to ride then my 24 year old PB arab.? His sire is DS Bonfire, which I believe has a lot to do with his temperament. Still a little spooky, but he's only 5.

2- SKITZO Horses - I've had a PB arab for 10 years that I just FINALLY started riding (seriously) since only last year (he's 13).? He's been through THREE trainers who could not break/repair or otherwise kitchy-ko him out of his problem, which was either flipping over or bolting when he was getting girthed up.? (eyes rolled back, on tip toes - the whole bit) The last trainer finally went so slowly that he could ease the saddle on and do a circling or lunging method until he could get girthed up.? Once under saddle, he was usually fine, if not great.? But, I was afraid of him. (and had 2 colossal accidents - 1 on him)
Well, long story short, I have to say I never stopped believing that he was a great soul, and would someday make a great enduro partner.? So, I conquered my fear (undoubtedly a higher-power thing) and over the years ignored EVERY single person who told me to "dump" him (about 99%),. I went to Dr. Brendan Furlong (USET lameness expert) to get a diagnosis of his mysterious perpetuating problem.? After x-rays and a series of 3 complex IM injections in his back for pain that was probably residual from an understated accident at 3 years old, he is a changed critter.?? (Although I know behaviorally to keep forever vigilant)
HOWEVER, all three of my horses were finally moved to a barn in April with virtually 24 hour turnout (excepting lightening storms and artic freezes). I believe that 24 hours outside, or even 16, makes an enormous difference.? After all, if I was shut up in a box for 18 to 22 hours a day, I'd be skitzo, too.?
Hopefully, I have finally learned to relax and simply try to be prepared with prudent safety precautions and not just anxiously expect-a-wreck when I mount up. (eg, I ALWAYS wear a helmet, usually even to tack up - it also helps to keeps my head size in check).

And, finally 3-? Somehow, it seems to me that "to finish is to win" kinda goes with "ride your own race" and "smile every mile", whether it's #1, #31 or #101.? I'm grateful for every day that I can even get on my horse, much less worrying about being in the middle of the pack or counting miles -
????????? ????? ????? ????? ??? - but then, I am just a re-bie . . .

Thanks, and I hope this wasn't too long or inappropriate in any way.

Jan H????
YoYoDeux@xxxxxxx