[RC] Now I Am in Trouble - William Rice

Hi Angie,
If you have heard of me, then this really is a small community, but it sure is
a nice one!  Yep I am one to watch for sure, everyone up here watches me and
makes bets when and where exactly on the trail I will hit the ground, how many
bounces I will make and how far I will have to run to catch my horse.
So far it is 4 miles down the trail, one bounce and one good roll, 3 miles on
foot to catch horse and of course the mandatory cracked ribs!  Gotta' love a
sport that provides all that entertainment in less than 10 miles, hell I
normally have to run 50 miles to hurt anywhere near that bad!

You make a very good point about the mentor and I agree, but I was also hoping
others will find the type of caring kind folks we have up here that allow me to
ride with them on training rides and have shown my wife (the real rider) and I
the ropes at every ride we have attended this year.  And I have also found that
my little fat spotted cow pony cannot run with the Arabs so I got an Arab too
(he's my gravity confirming horse--only too happy to allow me to experience
gravity first hand) which means that one has to ride his own ride, just like
running one's own race.  I have also found that there are horses of every speed
at each event and by attending a few I have met the front runners and those
that prefer to get their money's worth of time on the trail.  So I can pick the
speed I want to go.

It is my hope that by asking questions, volunteering at rides, riding as many
distances as I can that when my time comes I will be able to ride with my
mentors for 100 miles.  I also hope that all the others like me new to the
sport will take the challenge and get out there--this is way too much fun to
keep all to ourselves.

Bill Rice
Wandering around lost in Maine

the system manager.