[RC] [Guest] bad behavior - Ridecamp Guest

Jon Linderman Jon.Linderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I by no means claim to be an expert, but I correspond somewhat regularly
with friends in the endurance world, who like me have arab/saddlebred
crosses whom may or may not have had previous show careers, and who seem to
have some generalizable traits.  My story pales in comparison to the tales
Annie George has told me about her arab/asb cross, and I have other freinds
with cetain degrees of similarity in their arab/asb crosses that you
describe.

My first advice would be to stick with it if the horse shows as much
promise as you seem to indicate.  If anyone rode my horse at home they
would conclude he is a high strung idiot who spooks at his own shadow &
wasn't worth the time or effort.  Those that know him from his short
endurance career know hes moved from a weak-backed horse who struggled to
complete a 25 in 5 hours, to a horse who can go 25 in under 3 hours and has
completed his first two 50's.  Hes mellowed enuf over his 3 years on trail
that I rode him, out of necessity, in a halter for 12 miles ( lost the bit
at the vet check) with no problems.  I  personally enjoy the journey with
him more than I could ever enjoy any moments of glory like trophies,
ribbons, etc.  Its fun and its by no means "over" in terms of us both
learning from each other.

I try to take my guy to different places all the time.  Hes quick to pick
up the homeward route and gets pretty head strong when he thinks hes going
back.  I try to change up loops and add or subtract things to keep him
guessing as long as I can.  I threw him a curve last week by heading out on
a fairly moderate trail, adding a steep hill loop before turning around
which was new to him, and then when he thought we were nearly home I took
him up a very steep 3 mile loop in a reverse direction than he was used to.
Contrast that to one of his regular ride spots where he knows where he is
at ll times, and at all times we are usually struggling w/each other to
decide where we are going to go

I've found that former show horses are sometimes calmer on trail than in
the ring.  In the ring my guy will show you why his daddy and 1/2 brother
were 3-gaited eng. pleasure national champions: bridled up, snorting,
blowing, tons of vertical movement.....its a sight.  But out on trail he is
reasonably calm & has really taken to travelling, camping, competing.  I've
seen another former halter horse who was the same 3/4-1/4 you have, who was
a nut job in camp and now hes doing simply awesome in comp. trail & looks
like a seaoned pro in camp: eating drinking, hanging out under a canopy in
the rain.

I've come to enjoy my guys little quirks so stick w/it.

Jon