Re: [RC] Re: [RC] ? Disney and Hidalgo - Linda B. Merims

Tammy Robinson said:

>You know, this is based on a ture story...it is a movie, and it is Hollywood...

Sorry, Tammy, but I don't think you've been following the
posts on this topic.  If you had, you would know that--
once Disney announced that it was making this movie,--
a number of historians began to search for more information
about Frank Hopkins.

What they discovered is that Frank Hopkins was a complete
and total *fraud*.  It isn't that Hopkins was an old west
rider who won--or even just rode--in some long distance races
in the 1880's and then fabricated a story about going to
Arabia and winning a race there.  It is that the races
that Frank Hopkins claimed to have participated in, even
the races in the US like the Galveston to Rutland, Vermont
race that he claimed to have won never even happened.
They are still even trying to figure out who Frank Hopkins
really was (ChuChullaine O'Reilly told me that he thought
he might have been a circus performer--a carny.)

Now, if what you mean is "there used to be distance races
in the old west," I'm not so sure that even that is actually
true.

O'Reilly has documented one long distance race that is
like what we would consider to be a multi-day endurance
race.  Unfortunately, he did not footnote his story, which
means I can't check it--amateur historians just don't
understand the critical role footnotes (aka "documenting
one's sources") plays in real historical research.

But that's the only one that any one has ever presented
to me.  Were there others?  You say "Yes?"  How do you
know.

The US Army used to hold long distance trials in the
19teens and 20's.  However, they were not races.  They
were run like a CTR.  The winner was a combination of
time and best condition. The Green Mountain Horseman's
Association 100 miles in 3-days ride (now an ECTRA CTR)
that has been running almost continuously since 1936 was
an effort by the (mostly Morgan) people of New England
to re-create the cavalry's distance trials.  But no race.

Such 19th century endurance races as I have seen first-hand
accounts of were a kind of one-man, multi-horse relay race
around a race track.  There'd be two riders.  Each rider
would have, say, 15 horses.  Each rider would jump on one
of his horses and race around a race track for two or three
miles.  Then, he'd jump off that horse and grab another horse,
and repeat the circuit.  The horses would have to be used
more than once, so a man couldn't just run all his mounts into
the ground.  The first man to finish 50 or 75 miles won.

The "race" that the Tevis Cup is named after commemorates
one of these relay-cum-pony-express-type endurance races,
evidently held or sponsored by the 19th century California
robber baron, Wells Fargo entrepreneur Lloyd Tevis.

Now, people seem to have kept pretty close track of
distance/time records in the 19th century, but these don't
seem to have been held as races among horses, but as
time-trials.

If anybody has any primary or contemporary source documentation
of early endurance races that are like what we think of as an
endurance race, I'd like to hear about it.  I don't claim
to have researched this topic:  I'm only saying that
Hopkins has taught us the importance of going back to
verify our assumptions against the primary record.

>The movie is going to be great, so enjoy it for what
>it is...a Hollywood Movie.  Any horse movies is good
>for our horses.  After 100 years, humans have forgotten
>what a big role the horse had in our history.

Well, as somebody whose degree is in history and who
has done historical research, I'm more inclined to get
my back up about "true story" claims than many people.
So, that's kind of like telling me to "close your eyes,
lay back, and enjoy it."

But I agree whole-heartedly that people (and particularly
the eastern public land managers who grew up in suburbia
and whose experience of the outdoors is on day-hiking
field trips getting their "environmental science" degree)
have forgotten the many-thousand year relationship of
human and horse.

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA