Re: [RC] LD response - C. Eyler

AERC's tax status requires that education be an important component of what we do.

I've just recently started competing, but I've been working at endurance rides for a number of years.  Working as a recorder for the vets, reading Ridecamp, and connecting with experienced endurance riders made it possible for my gelding to finish our first LD ride with an overall impression score of A-minus.  We finished way back in the pack, and we had a few "issues" after his lost his buddy at the mid-point, but my goal was to complete with a happy, healthy horse -- and nothing beats an A on gut sounds.

Has AERC ever considered requiring new competitors to volunteer at one or two rides (preferably as a vet recorder) before ever entering a competition?  The newbie would see what can happen to an overridden horse (hopefully not an actual crash, but the horse that just needs to stop), and the vets are generally very willing to answer questions and explain what they're doing to anyone with a questioning mind.

With all the data that's now available online, would it be too much of a nightmare to institute such a requirement?

Cindy