[RC] re: bits and stopping - oddfarm

Anyone who cuts a horses tongue with a bit is NOT a trainer or a horseman for that matter. They are just abusers, plain and simple. If they claim to be otherwise, they need to be set strait. There is nothing wrong with using the spade bit or spoon or even the highest port bit. As long as the horse is completely finished, a college graduate with a Masters, so to speak. That includes the rider.  These bits are not intended to teach a horse to stop, merely to raise the level of communication to the highest level. A level I, myself, only dream of.

Positive reinforcement, rewarding with the release of pressure, making the horse think it is his or her idea is all about a working relationship. I just read where someone said the Arabian horse especially will do anything to stay friends, but do nothing if there is abuse.

Shelia Varian is doing her fall open house the first weekend of Aug. For any of you who live out that way, it is an awfully cheap weekend to learn so much. She will be discussing bits and hackamores as well as other topics. John and I attended this event a few years ago and it was great. Just to see her ride and to see the beautiful horses was worth the trip.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm
We like to use the "bit" of common sense