Re: [RC] Shoeing and TWH - Elite

   Living in the heart of Walking Horse country and riding in the Smokey Mountains everyone we meet on the trail has a TWH or cross of some kind.   Trail riding, wagon trains and horse camping are very popular, and they put a lot of miles on these horses year after year.  I am always looking at feet and have yet to see one trimmed what I would call correct, they all have long toes.   They never seem to have leg problems, but I don't know how.
    Another question...  And why don't these people use seat or leg cues?!?     I have asked this question of our trail riding friends that ride gaited horses.  They just don't see the necessity of it.    Oh well...
    What a confusing area we live in...   Centered Riding/Equitation lessons on Wednesday,  riding with "The Gaited Crowd" on Sunday.   It's kind of like playing golf with someone with a bad swing, you just don't watch.

Linda

What does the "H" stand for? It stands for horse. The TWH show ring shoeing to ride a TWH in endurance or even trail riding will probably lame them in the long run. They don't need calks, trailers, long toe, etc. Improper shoeing can cause injury. Find a good farrier ( and if you want to do endurance one that has some experience with endurance or CTR horses if you can ) and shoe for the horse's conformation - not  breed.

Something else MB and I probably agree on:-).

Truman

Karen Ellis wrote:
Does anyone know of any reason why a TWH should be shod differently from other horses?  I am getting conflicting information but our horse is not moving well and I was  told by a breeder that she should be left long in the toe.

We have not done this.  She is coming up sore. We have looked at other reasons but we are now looking more closely at her feet.  She is not "lame" but moving stiffly and sore.  Vet lameness exam negative.  Blood panel was inconclusive - "elev. CPK may be mild met. but could also be in that range from injury".

Any ideas?
Thanks
Karen