Re: [RC] Crupper adjustment - Ed and Wendy Hauser

Place the saddle where you want it.  Adjust the crupper so that it is tight
at that position.  If the horse is not crupper trained he will tuck his tail
when he feels it.  It will actually be much to loose.  Walk him or longe him
until he stops reacting.  Reach up and jerk the crupper.  When he stopps
reacting do a half mount and jerk.  If he is very reactive be satisfied when
he stops reacting, remove it and go on your ride.  Shouldn't take more than
30 minutes, usually much less.  The next time do the same thing.  When he
stops reacting adjust the length so that it is tight with the saddle in the
proper position.  Ride him.  Give a few jerks before you actually move off.
Give a jerk a couple of times before the first hill.  Go up and down.  You
will notice if everything is properly adjusted that the breast collar is
tight up hill and the crupper loose.  The breast collar loose and the
crupper tight down.  Both loose on the flat.

The crupper does not actually pull that much or that much time.  Harness
horses, calvary horses and many others have worn cruppers for thousands of
years with no problem.  I have used them on all my horses ever since I had a
wreck going down a hill in the '70's.  They are great.  No horse should be
ridden without one.

Ed.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th Street