Re: [RC] Shadowfax - Becky Huffman

Shadowfax is a Meara, not a horse.  The Meara descend from Felarof, who
served Eorl the Young as wergild for killing his father, Leod by throwing
him when he tried to tame him.  Except for Shadowfax, who was friends with
Gandalf and consented to carry him, (and Pippin on one occasion)  Only the
Lord's of the Mark were allowed to ride the Meara.

Gandalf did not need or use tack on Shadowfax.

as an aside, none of the Elves used tack or harness on their animals,
including horses, since they were 'in tune' with nature.

"A smaller and lighter horse, but restive and fiery, was brought to Legolas.
Arod was his name. But Legolas asked them to take off the saddle and rein.
"I need them not', he said, and leaped lightly up, and to their wonder Arod
was tame and willing beneath him, moving here and there with but a spoken
word: such was the elvish way with all good beasts." <end snip>

(probably more than you wanted to know <G>)

Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
www.TheOriginalSeries.com
www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

"Of course you are.  And I'm coming with you." Sam Gamgee