[RC] warm spot on back - Sullivan

Can anyone tell me if you run  your hand down a horse's back....and feel a warmer portion toward loin area, but no signs of soreness or flinching...does this still indicate some inflammation?

Scenario is 6 year old horse, we are in week 8 of ponying/riding.  She had not been ridden for about 2 years, so I am taking it slow, with a lot of walking to build up.  I am always checking legs and back after the longer rides....and so far no problems.  Saturday we did a 9 mile ride, took 2 1/2  hours, mostly flat, some gradual climb.  Did a bit more trotting ,and canter at one point.

I use a Sport saddle with skito pad. and have never had any back soreness with my horses, but am aware this mare will have to strengthen back muscles as well as get legged up.

Anyway, have never noticed before, a difference in temperature on the back.  Again, she did not show any discomfort to palpation.

Ideas?
Karen