Re: [RC] shoeing question - Sullivan

@at leat that much!  I have a hard time around here finding a shoer that would do that, finally did.  His father shoes endurance horses and he understands the need to put the shoe under the HEEL!
Karen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 8:23 PM
Subject: [RC] shoeing question

Just curious how most people have the shoes fitted to their horses' hooves.  When I was in horseshoeing school (um, about 25 years ago, and no I never pursued it past the class) we were taught to leave _at least_ "the thickness of a dime" of shoe sticking out sideways past the hoof wall on the quarter and heel area, and at least 1/8" out behind the heels.  The theory being for more support.

My current farrier, who I really like, thinks I am crazy to make him do this, keeps crabbing about how it looks really ugly,