[RC] shoeing question - Karen Bratcher

Just curious how most people have the shoes fitted to their horses' hooves.  When I was in horseshoeing school (um, about 25 years ago, and no I never pursued it past the class) we were taught to leave _at least_ "the thickness of a dime" of shoe sticking out sideways past the hoof wall on the quarter and heel area, and at least 1/8" out behind the heels.  The theory being for more support.

My current farrier, who I really like, thinks I am crazy to make him do this, keeps crabbing about how it looks really ugly,  I am the only customer he's ever had who asks for it, and he just can't understand how my horse doesn't step on that bit of shoe and pull them off :-D  (He never has.)  The bit sticking out behind the heels is great for keeping that Easyboot strap securely in place when I use them :-)

The one time I wasn't paying attention and he formed the shoes tight to the hoof wall, literally within a few days after shoeing my horse's heels started growing over the sides of the shoes.  Yes, I called and had him come out and redo them.

I'm open to any shoeing comments except barefoot :-D  My horse has very thin-walled, brittle hooves and if I leave shoes off his quarters and heels immediately break off completely.  He's very tenderfooted, and our area in the dry season is very hard and rocky -- not nice rounded river pebbles, but 2-3" and up jagged-edged rocks.  I have to do most of my riding on "dirt" roads loaded with these rocks and I usually Easyboot him at least in front.

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho