Re: [RC] Lameness Problems, long - Stephanie E Caldwell

Thank you all who gave me advice. I called the largest sport horse practice that makes farm calls at 9:30am and they had one of their vet's at my barn at 11am! Wow! I was so impressed by this practice, their professionalism was way above anything that I've experienced in the past. They have an assistant with every vet who's a vet tech or vet student, the vet spent around 2 hours with Star and I going over every little detail and my bill was much lower than I feared. She was upfront and honest about her abilities, and didn't mind refering me to people who could help me more.

She flexed Star and watched her move; she noticed some lameness in the right shoulder. It was slightly tender as was her neck. So, she said that since she wasn't lame every stride the easiest way to find out if it was neuro or pain was to put her on a round of bute and Tagament and see if she improves. So, we're starting bute tonight.

She also wanted to meet the chiro out at the barn ASAP, so I've got a call into their chiro to see when we can make that happen. She wants to see Star get a custom/treeless saddle that's made for her. (ugggggghhhhhhhhhh) Doesn't want me to spend alot of time riding bareback, thinks it will make her problems worse. Thinks the breastcollar might be agrivating her shoulder injury. Wants her stalled and handwalked 2x daily, ridden once lightly. Wants her ridden at her normal pace Thursday see how the Bute affects it.

Thanks guys, and watch the classifieds I'm selling everything that's not necessary to afford her treatment. I've got three saddles, breastcollar, halter bridle, Skito, other pads, and some other items. I'm trying to keep my HRM to help bring her back, but it depends on how much this costs me.

Steph