Re: [RC] Horse sleeping too much - Heidi Smith

Does anyone have "lazy" horses that tend to  lay down alot?
<snip>
Do any of the vets on this forum have comments on this?

Indeed, I have a whole herd  like that!   Sometimes they look like seals on
the beach out there....  While horses don't have need of much "down time"
and can go for extended periods of time without any, many enjoy it and like
to sprawl out and sun themselves.  Mine usually lie clear out flat.  There
is an element of trust in lying down a lot--they have to feel secure that
they are safe from predation, since they can't instantly take flight from a
down position.  So consider it a sign of trust.

An anesthesiology professor once told our class that a horse will start to
get mismatched perfusion of the lungs after an hour or so down on his side,
and that this is a risk in equine anesthesia for lengthy surgeries.  He also
swore that no horse will voluntarily lie down on his side longer than that.
I have no doubt that he is right about the risks to unconscious horses, but
I have observed healthy, active horses lying out flat without ever shifting
up onto their briskets for as long as 4 hours.  Rare, yes, but it does
happen.

Anyway--I wouldn't worry about your horses' "down time"--take it as a
compliment that you've provided them with a home in which they feel
comfortable and safe.

Heidi