[RC] failing flex test - rides2far

I need some advice from vets & riders with experience with such.

I have another installment of my continueing saga of trying to find a
horse for my friend Bekki Crippen to compete LD's on.  For those who are
new, Bekki is 35 yr. old, 4'10", slightly mentallly handicapped,
overblessed with commitment, and desperate for a horse to replace the 26
year old she's been doing LD's on.

We found the horse of her dreams. I was willing to look at *anything* at
this point after driving to check out horses and bringing 3 home that
haven't worked out in the last 18 mo. This horse is *maybe* barely 15
hands, 9 years old, and BROKE TO DEATH!!! I was very pleasantly surprised
at his build which is light and handy. Most horses like that would be too
quick for Bekki, but this horse has been doing Wagon Trains behind a team
of mules for 3 years and is incredibly businesslike and methodical. He's
also had drunks galloping by him for 3 years and totally ignores what the
others do so I think will do well at the start of a ride with her. Who
knows what kind he is. They guy thought TWH & QH. I don't think so. He
will go into a pace at times, but mostly walk,trot&canter and he's light
bodied with not much of a butt. Maybe Standardbred & Hackney would give
you a mental picture of him. He's careful where he puts his feet, travels
with an arched neck and his nose low and watching the ground. Just a
dream come true.  So...

He's got a left rear fetlock the size of a grapefruit. "Old barbed wire
injury". He seems perfectly sound on the trail, but this fetlock is huge.
The owner said he had it when he got him and it's never given him a bit
of trouble on the wagontrains (which are 95% walking).  Yesterday I
flexed (he flexed it easy like it wasn't stiff, I didn't pull on it at
all just held the toe) him on it and he trotted off dead lame for about
20 yards, then looked OK again. I'm not looking for a future 100 mile
horse here. I just want a horse she can make it through an LD with. This
horse has, by the way, one of the most attrocious shoeing jobs in
history. Shoes straight out of the box, with caulks and borium on the
toes, MAJOR long low low heel job with the heels hanging way out the
back. One hoof, at some time has been split all the way to the coronary
band. The result is that it looks about like a cow's cloven hoof close to
the quarter area. His bulb is literally deformed from it. Sounds bad hu?

But let's retrace....he's INCREDIBLY SANE, light, honest, nimblefooted,
calm but not deadhead. She rode with me yesterday on him and it was so
nice to have her on a safe horse that could keep up. Her place is to die
for. She's got 7 miles of jeep road type trail (looks exactly like
Biltmore's trails) on the property where they rent. She could saddle this
horse up and go riding by herself back there every day!

After the flex I asked her, "If you could ride this horse like this every
day, but he couldn't do endurance, would you want to keep him and ride
him or keep looking?"  She thought it over, looked torn, and said, "Keep
looking". (We have him on a 30 day trial, no money has changed hands).

What do ya'll suggest? They do anything I tell them and it's a big
responsibility for me >stress<  I *really* like this horse.

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA