[RC] [Guest] Difficulty of Red Rock/Championship rides - Ridecamp Moderator

Carol Giles lawdoc@crestviewcable
Even with plenty of water, I am concerned that with the shorter October days the Red Rock trail as it currently stands would still be almost impossible to complete. There are three hill climbs (two just out of camp that are not particularly long, but are very sandy) and one very long, steep climb (with a corresponding downhill). As it is currently set up, you would do one short climb and the long climb during day light hours but would still be faced with an immense amount of mileage to do in the dark. Even with good, well-marked trail I think many riders would simply find themselves up against the time limit.

I also want to echo some of the things that Sharon Westagard said earlier. While there were problems with this trail, the ride managers did many things right. The trail was very well marked, especially the night loop. They gave excellent thought to the order of their loops so you were riding at night on the safest trail. At every vet check there was food, water and gatorade for riders. The base vet check was very well organized.
The vets were outstanding. Ride management was very concerned about the 100-mile riders and were very dedicated to correcting the problems we encountered - they want to put on the best championship ride they can. So, don't let the low completition rate discourage anyone from going! This was a fun ride with beautiful country to enjoy and a highly motivated group of ride managers to make sure things go right.