Re: [RC] Cool Tips for Riders - Heidi Smith

Need tips on how to stay cool in hot and humid
weather.  I know this has been discussed before but I
feel it's a good time to bring it up again.
One of the items to be considered in my case is that
my lower body/legs DO NOT sweat at all due to scar
tissue.  Thus anything waist and higher does the major
cooling for my body.
Had a hot/humid conditioning ride today...my friend
and the horses did OK but I didn't.  Fortunately we
found a small stream and the water was cool...got
myself wet and eventually cooled down...meanwhile the
horses got lots splashed on them too which they
appreciated.

This has been a real issue for me this year as well, as I've started back
riding after some life-changing health issues that have also caused me to be
less heat tolerant.  My first ride this year was just an LD, but I was
pretty fried after.  Realized that I needed some better strategies.  The
following has worked well for me so far this year (two fairly hot 50's):

1)  Drink like a fish the day before.  No carbonated caffeinated
beverages--just water, juice, and milk.  Drink a MINIMUM of 20 oz of water
pre-ride, in addition to the juice and milk that I have with breakfast.
Carry two 20-oz water bottles FULL for each loop and drink them in their
entirety on each loop--refill at vet checks.

2)  Cookies Cool Caps--WONDERFUL inventions that freeze prior to the ride
and insert into the top of your helmet.  There are 3 to a package (reusable)
so being cheap I only bought one package--so I don't use one on the first
loop while it is still cool out, but I use one on each loop thereafter and
change at the vet checks.

3)  Cool Neck bandana.  Even though it may not evaporate in humidity, it
still stays somewhat cool and is just one more small thing.  I don't realize
that it is working until I take it off and realize that I really miss it
being there.

4)  A HUGE light, flimsy, cotton men's long-sleeved western shirt with
snaps.  It billows out and provides a circulating air layer, as well as
keeping the direct sun off my skin.  The Arabs know what they are doing when
they wear great billowing body-covering outfits in the desert heat!  The
advantage of the snap closures is that you can yank it off real quick and
dunk it in a water tank and put it back on without taking forever to button
it back up.  (Yes, a jog bra underneath is appropriate <g>--but then I need
one of those when I ride anyway to absorb the sweat "underneath" or I get a
nasty and unpleasant heat rash there...)

5)  A custom straw helmet brim that goes all the way around and shades not
only my face, but also my ears and the back of my neck.  I had one
custom-made out of a wide-brimmed cowboy hat with the crown cut out--the
very traditional cowboy hatter that made it for me almost had apoplexy over
adulterating a cowboy hat, but boy howdy, does it work!  It is velcro'd to
my helmet in 4 or 5 spots.  It's pretty cool--in more ways than one!  <g>  I
can e-mail you a picture if you like...  :-)

6)  Every time I sponge my horse, I sponge me, too.

Heidi