Re: [RC] [RC] Barn Plans and Suggestions - Laurie Durgin

Also, I want a tack room and an area to store feed. I am considering storing the hay elsewhere (maybe a hay shelter to be built later) but can temporarily use a vacant stall. I want to hear which is best: pre-fab or pole??????? And where can I get plans with no hayloft and a run in shelter plus some stalls and a tack area.

The main questions that I have is shall I use concrete for the flooring with mats and bedding or because of the good drainage......should I just be happy with a dirt floor or is there a better idea? My old barn (falling apart) which must be removed....had nothing but a dirt floor and I don't ever recall problems with damp ground except during a downpour.

You ridecampers have helped me in the past with trailer, truck and horse and even roundpen selections and now I need a barn. Luckily I have the stash, so I can afford any type of barn that I want. I really need suggestions on how to do it right. I am sure that I will want power and don't feel that I need water in the barn since I have a strong stream nearby and the horses self water.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Betty DeMar Mueller, Equine Artist

We built our barn from a 24 x24 garage type plan. Added a shed roof to one side this year ,out 12 more feet x 24. Our barn has terrible drainage. If I had to do it again , I would put the 2 feet of gravel in first, then maybe dirt. I have had groundwater problems, holes being pawed, mush coming up. yuuch, had to pull dirt away from barn, to get gravel below barn level,(as the gravel my hubby put down sheeted water into the barn). :{. Added conveyor belting in 3 stalls, only thing that has keep the ground water out, but I will have to take that up and put more gravel underneath, as with the monsoons this year ,I literally stepped on some mats, and black ooze shot up 2 feet and hit me!!
Needless to say, when I try to swim thru the mud to clean(and the stall are only used for feeding and open during storms, I tell myself , we will get this fixed before I die.;{
Anything that helps drainage!!!!!Also I have dips in my mats now that pool urine, double yuuuch, cause the ground is so mushy underneath and we didn't put real gravel,deep enough ! Mind you , we didn't have any of these problems the first 3 years. . . Laurie /Rascal