Re: [RC] Kicking pasture mates - SteelSideDown

Familiar with this tool, I've made a few.  Its one of those "horse whisperer" type training methods (can't remember which trainer came up with it at the moment).  It is a loose ring made of bar stock (by your farrier usually), the opening is large enough to fit around the cannon, then drop down into place over the hoof.  Since the ring is loose it bangs on the coronet band when the horse kicks causing discomfort. This would not be something you turn a horse out in as it can catch in anything that will fit thru the opening or come up from ground level.  I can't even think of all the possibilities in my fields!  Method is really meant for horses kicking stall walls.

Jen

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I saw a steel ring used on a training video that went above the horses hind hoof and banged their leg when they kicked. It supposedly served as a correction to stop kicking. Is anyone familiar with this tool, and I wonder if it would be feasible to put it on a pastured horse. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>