Re: [RC] [RC] [Guest] Tripping and saddle fit (long) - Ridecamp Moderator

Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>

Get your vet out soon. It's getting worse.I have epm induced paranoia now since Rascal got it, and he had quick onset, my vet was here and saw him trip going to trough ,then he tripped a couple times coming up, and he is not a trippy horse. Then he checked him and he had other signs.This can be one of the first signs of EPM.Especially with the going to his knees. Also turn him in tight circles and see if he pivots correctly or leaves his feet in the wrong place. You can also cross his feet and see how long it takes him to uncross them or if he does at all. Rascal uncrossed, but he couldn't pivot properly. He was only grade 1 when the vet saw him, then maybe got to grade 2 by the time the drugs kicked in. IF it is EPm , time is of the essence to get him on meds. the longer you wait, the more likely permanent nerve damage will result.
Course it could be other things. But your vet could best discern this. I wouldn't wait, if it is already worsening. A lameness, maybe, but not tripping that is getting worse.
Laurie and Rascal(who is off meds, had his spinal tap today,and the vet said that was the toughest one he ever had to do, needle had to go all the way in, his spine was so deep.My stomach is still recovering/not to mention my heart.